Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Bruins Begin Second Round vs. the Hurricanes or Whalers?


This coming Friday, May 1, the Boston Bruins will commence the second round of the Stanley Cup Playoffs. This Eastern Conference Semifinal marks the first time the Bruins have made it to the second round in 10 years. Yes, I said 10 years -- much to my chagrin. I suppose rather than dwell on that, we should all be excited because this team is legit.

So, with the Carolina Hurricanes coming to town, the Bruins will look to get to the Conference Finals since the 90-91 season. The year before that, my beloved Black N’ Gold lost in the Stanley Cup Finals to the Edmonton Oilers. For me personally, I was playing youth hockey for Mid-State scoring loads of goals and watching a highlight video of that Bruins season entitled “Reach for the Stars.” A pre-Parkinson’s Michael J Fox narrated and Mike Millbury was the team’s head coach. I swear to god I watched that movie over 100 times. I can still quote it 17 years later. Pathetic? Oh I would say so! But at least it legitimizes me as a true fan rather than be labeled as a bandwagoner as the Bruins re-mark their territory in the Hub of Hockey.

Before I preview this year’s showdown, please bear with me and let me revel in a little more history. That year the Boston made it to the finals, their path to the silver chalice was the Hartford Whalers in Round 1, the Montreal Canadiens in Round 2, the Washington Capitals in Round 3 and then the Edmonton Oilers in the Finals. Do you any of you see a pattern here? I do, if you flip-flop the first and second round opponents this just may be the exact road the 2009 Boston Bruins take the Stanley Cup Finals.

Ok who’s scratching their head? Today’s Carolina Hurricanes are formerly the Hartford Whalers. Cue Brass Bonanza. The old Whale skated in Connecticut at the Hartford Civic Center, which is now called the XL Center, home to the AHL’s Hartford Wolf Pack. I saw two Bruins games in Connecticut against the Whalers -- one with my mom and one with my brother. It was a great place to catch a game and I really wish they would bring back the Whale.

So now that I have just rambled on and on about the History of the Bruins and the second round, I think I’ll give my short take on this coming series and then give a more in depth preview tomorrow. I can also preview the other playoff match-ups as well.

So the Bruins enter the series owning the regular season series 4-0. Throw it out the window folks. Paul Maurice’s Cardiac Canes are playing much better than when the season series concluded. Goalie Cam Ward is playing well, real well. Boston also outscored Carolina 18-6 throughout the season.

We all now about season series and then playoffs by looking at last year’s series vs. Montreal. With that being said, I still think the Bruins take this in six games. They’re big, tough, fast and have this season’s soon-to-be Vezina Trophy winner in Timmy Thomas. All things being equal though, the Bruins are too deep for the Hurricanes. To be more concise, the intrepid scribe believes that the B’s are the deepest team to come out of the East. I will be shocked if they don’t prove it. I really like Boston’s chances to go to the Cup Finals.

ESPN Analyst and recently shit-canned Tampa Bay Lightning Head Coach Barry Melrose picked the Hurricanes. That makes me feel even better because that guy may be animated, but he’s moron. Or better yet, a Don Cherry wannabe.

Be back tomorrow for less history and more fact so you can make your own prediction to the Bruins/ Canes series as well as the other games.

WOW, Jerry Remy just said Bruins in six during the Red Sox game. Well, the baseball guru agrees with me… do you? Bruins in six baby.

No comments:

Post a Comment