Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Stanley Cup Conference Semifinals Matchups Set

I have not been very good at keeping this updated because I have been so busy lately. As I sit on the couch and watch the Rangers vs. Capitals game seven, it makes perfect sense to make a post.

As I type this I was going to start out by saying that the Rangers are playing tremendous hockey, and by this eye, may sneak out with a series upset as a the seventh seed. Nevermind speaking too soon -- I thought too soon. As I was gathering my thoughts, suddenly, the Verizon Center erupts because veteran Russian forward Sergei Fedorov sniped a wrister that beat Rangers goalie Henrik Lundqvist short side. By the way, it was the old-farts 52nd career tally in the playoffs. To my memory, I think that is the second goal of the series that beat him short side. Not good for “King Henrik,” affectionately called in the Big Apple.

With four minutes to go, it looks as though the Capitals will win this series.

Now to the Western Conference upset where the President’s Trophy winning San Jose Sharks choked again in the post-season. They lost in six games to the Anaheim Ducks.

By the way, the Caps won. Game over. I love the handshake…although I hope someone sucker punches Sean Avery. The Versus announcers are all of a sudden loving the Capitals and pumping their tires. Funny how the second best team in the Eastern Conference barely makes it out the first round and the announcers suddenly love them. How? They should have lost tonight and were being chastised during the intermissions by the same guys. How contradicting... go figure.

Back to the Sharks. I thought they would at least get to the Cup Finals. I guess when you take two Norris Trophy defensemen and put them up against a perrenial playoff failure in Joe Thornton, we should have known. Physical play was the key to the Ducks win there.

Both No show Joe and Captain Patrick Marleau weren’t very influential in the series and that’s a big reason they lost to the Ducks. I should make note that they were drafted Nos. one and two respectively in the 1997 NHL Entry Draft.

On November 30, 2006 Thornton was traded to San Jose. I was an employee of the Bruins at the time and what an interesting week that turned out to be. I did say it was going to turn out to be a good trade and it was for the Bruins. Only one other reporter agreed with me… and that was Boston Globe Hall of Fame writer, Kevin Paul Dupont. Oh, my good buddy Joey MacDonald from the Providence Journal agreed too. Oops. This summer I will break down that trade because after three years, we can look at it more in depth and see all the pros and cons.

On a positive note, the Worcester Sharks, a former place of employment for me as well, upset the first seeded Hartford Wolf Pack in the first round of the Calder Cup Playoffs of the American Hockey League. After dropping the first two, the Baby Sharks stormed back to take four in a row. Good friend of mine, Riley Armstrong leads the team with eight assists. The Sharks began the Atlantic Division Finals (Round 2) against the Providence Bruins tonight and dropped game one by a score of 3-2 in overtime. Good luck to the Sharkies!

Right now I am waiting to see final matchups for the second round for the Stanley Cup Playoffs. Once I find out I am going to bed. I will preview tomorrow.

SECOND ROUND MATCHUPS

Eastern Conference Semifinals
Well, I just found out that the Boston Bruins will take on the Carolina Hurricanes. The Pittsburgh Penguins will take on the Washington Capitals in the other round.

Western Conference Semifinals
The Anaheim Ducks will take on Detroit Red Wings while the Vancouver Canucks and face off against the Chicago Blackhawks.

Now, seeing that’s done, Im hitting the sheets. Previews tomorrow…

PS. Versus in-studio analyst Brian Engblom picked perfectly in the first round. Maybe now he can pick a new hairstylist because his current hair-do is pathetic. Poor bastard!

I would be remiss to not mention my good buddy Joe Roche went 6.5 and 8 on his picks. He lost the Carolina/ New Jersey series and was pretty sure the Sharks would lose their series but was afraid to actually pick against them. Way to Work esquire Roche, way to work!

1 comment:

  1. Shit now I'm going to have to go back and listen to that podcast because I'm almost positive I picked the Canes to win that series against New Jersey.

    ReplyDelete