Saturday, May 1, 2010

Hammers Score 5 Goals in third to Overcome 4-1 Deficit

Lake Placid, NY - I’m not even sure where to begin. When I think of last night’s game, the only thing that is popping into my head is “HOLY SHIT.”

I have never been a part of a more unbelievable comeback than that of last night’s barn burner in the USA Rink. With four minutes remaining on the clock in the third period, the Hammers scored five unanswered goals to beat the Sportplexe 4 Glaces by a score of 6-4.

Hammers – 1
Poison – 1

We got the poison out of us before game 2 and it surely paid off for everyone on the team. After the big win, the entire team drank beer and ate pizza, took some fun pictures and celebrated the most amazing comeback in Hammer History. Meanwhile, the crazy Quebecois team was on suicide watch after watching their three-goal lead dissipate. That’s what they get for the jack-ass who celebrates a goal that never went in. Looking back, that was freaken funny. Up yours pal and to the rest of your flying Frenchmen teammates.

So now on to recap the final four minutes of our storied win. Determination, passion and the refuse to lose attitude was what willed us to victory. With some grit from Dan Mahoney behind the net, he got the puck out front where I had an easy tap-in goal. It would be my first of the tournament, which made the score 4-2 Glaces. I would be remiss not to mention that Mahoney got us going in the first period with a goal of his own.

Jumbo Juggy Jonathan Crowton made it 4-3 on an absolute laser beam that went top-cheese on their goaltender’s glove side. I would tell you their goalie’s name but I’m not going to for two reasons. 1, you won’t be able to pronounce it and 2, who gives a shit.

Next, Hammers defenseman and resident bone-cracker, Joe Valeriotte, slid a crisp pass to my tape through the neutral zone and I quickly scurried into the zone and deposited my second goal of the game to knot it all up at four apiece. Yes, I celebrated. Sorry hockey gods, we couldn’t help it.

Finally, with just 11 ticks remaining, Michael “Cheeeeeeeeeeeeese” Gresko tallied the game-winner with a beautiful bank shot from behind the net. I believe he was trying to pass to me in front or the streaking Valeriotte behind me but we only needed to watch as the puck hit the Glaces defenseman and eluded their goalie five-hole. Hammers 5 and the Glaces 4.

With three seconds left on the game clock, towering d-man Matt Sosik lofted a backhander over everyone’s head and into their goal. Buzzer goes off, Hammers win, time to party.

So there you have it. You needed to be there to actually witness how awesome it was, but take it from me and anyone who was there, it was pretty cool.

Now, we look to win our third game and get us into the gold-medal game as we play the Dugay Sport Gatineau at 3:10 pm. Before that we will cheer on our beloved Boston Bruins at 12:30. With three teammates from Philly, this should make it fun.

Oh and Charlie, you owe me ten bucks!

1 comment:

  1. Hi, nice post. Would you please consider adding a link to my website on your page. Please email me back and I would be happy to give you our link.

    Thanks!

    Frank
    frank641w@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete